Britwell Salome



Genealogy information

Parish church

Village photos

Email OntaWorld


Saint Nicholas, the parish church

For centuries there were two parishes here, Britwell Salome and Britwell Prior. Britwell Salome was in the Diocese of Oxford, and Britwell Prior was attached to the Prior and Convent of Canterbury.

Of the four Saint Nicholas, this church is named after the fourth century Bishop of Myra in Lycia, and has stood as the church of Bruttewell Sulham from the 13th century. The earliest church records date from 1234, but recent dating (1990s) of the great yew in the churchyard lends weight to the theory that a church was here long before that.

Click on the thumbnails on the right to view each photo at a larger size.

Parish church

Parish church

Parish church